I know all your excuses, all the reasons why you can’t network like you mean it and finally take charge of your career:
- You’re too busy.
- Only braggarts toot their own horn; your excellent work should speak for itself.
- You’re a professional, not a salesperson.
- You get tongue-tied in networking situations and holiday parties (except after a glass of champagne or three, when … hoooooo-boy).
- You’re too young/old/fat/scrawny/tall/short/myopic/curly-haired/awkward in heels/ignorant about college football/useless on the golf course.
- You’re a special snowflake afflicted with all of the above.
How do I know this? Because I’ve been there and done that.
As an added bonus, I’ve experienced many bouts of severe social anxiety. I signed up for – then bailed on – more networking commitments than a pomegranate has seeds. My creativity was exercised regularly, as I invented colds, stomach-aches, and work commitments just so I wouldn’t have to endure the excruciating awkwardness of facing people I didn’t know.
But even during periods of acute social anxiety, I kept building amazing relationships in writing – relationships that introduced me to high-powered biotech executives, venture capitalists, national security experts, and even a best-selling writer who loved my novel and wrote a blurb for it. These relationships stood me in good stead when I decided to launch my own business and when I looked to publish my articles.
These relationships were built one tweet, one LinkedIn chat, one blog post, and one email at a time.
And the most surprising part? Writing became a magical confidence potion. The more successfully I networked in writing, the more easily I networked in person. It’s a virtuous cycle, and I would love for you to experience it, too.
But I digress.
Here is what you need to know about me:
- My job is to help you reach your professional goals. It’s that simple. Want a promotion? Let’s figure out who’s not seeing your star power and how to make it visible to these folks. Want to raise you profile as an expert? There’s a well-defined path to get you there. Want to switch careers? We’ll find the people who can make that transition smooth and painless. Or maybe you’re dreaming of bringing in more and better clients? That’s perfectly doable, too!
- I work collaboratively. I’m not going to waltz into your life and assume that I know your vision and your goals. I’ll help you clarify what you want, and focus on that outcome. Together, we’ll assess how far you are from your goal, and create a plan that works for you to get there. And then I’ll insist that you execute on your plan (that’s what we call “being an accountability partner” in coach-speak).
- I believe in systems, results, and ROI. That means that we’ll not engage in random acts of networking or wishful thinking about what might be working. Instead, we’ll track and analyze your progress, tweaking your plan as necessary.
If you need my credentials, here they are: